Doctors Sara and Lisa talk to Dr Aseem Mishra, Academic GP trainee involved in helping produce the Guidelines for the Greater Manchester Lipid Pathway. Greater Manchester has very high levels of Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events (MACEs). The guidelines for how to treat hyperlipidaemia and what we’re aiming for have changed. Dr Mishra helps talk through these changes. Towards the end of the episode, we discuss injectable treatments for secondary prevention including Inclisiran. The resource links are extensive, we hope you find the discussion and the links as useful as we do.
You can use these podcasts as part of your CPD - we don’t do certificates but they still count :)
- NICE Clinical Knowledge Summaries for Lipid Modification Jan 2023 (links to both Primary and Secondary Prevention): https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/lipid-modification-cvd-prevention/
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Assessment Guidelines (links to Simon Broome and the Dutch Lipid Clinic Criteria): https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/hypercholesterolaemia-familial/diagnosis/assessment-diagnosis/
- Statins Prescribing Information, with risks of serious side effects and interactions: https://cks.nice.org.uk/topics/lipid-modification-cvd-prevention/prescribing-information/statins/#adverse-effects
- National Statin Intolerance Pathway: https://www.england.nhs.uk/aac/publication/statin-intolerance-pathway/
- Manchester Secondary Prevention Lipid Pathway: https://gmmmg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/Lipid-Management-Pathway-for-Secondary-Prevention-of-Cardiovascular-Disease-CVD-21.12.22.pdf
- GMMMG Prescribing Information for Inclisiran: https://gmmmg.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/11/Inclisiran-prescribers-information-leaflet-13.10.22-for-web.pdf
- SPIRIT Trial on Inclisiran: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04807400
- NHS Accelerated Access Collaborative: https://www.england.nhs.uk/aac/what-we-do/innovation-for-healthcare-inequalities-programme/commercial-partnerships/
- Health Innovation Manchester Lipid Webinar and Links to Prescribers and Patient Information for Inclisiran: https://healthinnovationmanchester.com/cvdprevention-lipidpathway-resources/
- HeartUK resource on Statins: https://www.heartuk.org.uk/getting-treatment/statins
- Reference for the discussion on Plaque Regression: Kalanuria A, Nyquist P and Ling G. (2012) The prevention and regression of atherosclerotic plaques: Emerging Treatments Vascular Health Risk Management: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3459726/
- Tool to Calculate Lifetime Cardiovascular Disease risk: https://u-prevent.com/
We really want to make these episodes relevant and helpful: if you have any questions or want any particular areas covered then contact us on Twitter @PCKBpodcast, or leave a comment on our really quick anonymous survey here: https://pckb.org/feedback
This podcast has been made with the support of GP Excellence and Wigan CCG. Given that it is recorded with Greater Manchester clinicians, the information discussed may not be applicable elsewhere and it is important to consult local guidelines before making any treatment decisions.
The information presented is the personal opinion of the healthcare professional interviewed and might not be representative to all clinicians. It is based on their interpretation of current best practice and guidelines when the episode was recorded. Guidelines can change; To the best of our knowledge the information in this episode is up to date as of it’s release but it is the listeners responsibility to review the information and make sure it is still up to date when they listen.
Dr Lisa Adams, Dr Sara MacDermott and their interviewees are not liable for any advice, investigations, course of treatment, diagnosis or any other information, services or products listeners might pursue as a result of listening to this podcast - it is the clinicians responsibility to appraise the information given and review local and national guidelines before making treatment decisions. Reliance on information provided in this podcast is solely at the listeners risk.
The podcast is designed to be used by trained healthcare professionals for education only. We do not recommend these for patients or the general public and they are not to be used as a method of diagnosis, opinion, treatment or medical advice for the general public. Do not delay seeking medical advice based on the information contained in this podcast. If you have questions regarding your health or feel you may have a medical condition then promptly seek the opinion of a trained healthcare professional.
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.